As part of our 2017 festival, the ‘Green Alphabet’ is a literacy and arts project for Key Stage 2 children which encourages them to achieve a Discover Arts Award.
The project gives children the opportunity to explore green issues and create their own response to them in a format that combines a letter of the alphabet with text and illustration, offering great scope for imaginative work and a variety of visual arts techniques.
To achieve the Discover Arts Award the project has been broken down in to four stages:
- Create a mind map to explore different art forms including visual art, music, dance and poetry.
- Find out about the work of five artistes: Michael Rothenstein, David Jones, Quentin Blake, John Agard and Brazilian writer Leonardo do Froes – who have all created work about alphabets. Children then choose one of the five artistes and then carry out independent research.
- The children share the findings of this research in an assembly
- Create a piece of individual or group artwork
Key elements are:
- In-school workshops with artist practitioners.
- School visits from Brazil’s ‘Green Poet’ Leonardo do Froes
- Artwork displayed at festival locations at Snape Maltings and in Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth town centres.
Lowestoft Artwork Display:
The artwork that is produced by the children as part of this project will be displayed in a large scale exhibition in Lowestoft Library during FlipSide’s new Children’s Arts Festival in the October half term holiday.